Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Where Did Gwen Go?

Those are 4 little words that we have really never had to say before. But all that has changed! You see, Mom follows a few SB sites and forums online. (In part, kind of how we got the idea to do this blog.) Well there is one site in particular on facebook that is a great one because it is full of lots of moms of children with SB and also adults living with SB.



I, (yes believe it or not Heather is writing this blog entry), asked a question to the very knowledgeable ladies about any ideas for equipment or something besides a wheelchair for toddlers like Gwen to get around in. This idea came to me when the weather started to get nice again and I would have the girls outside playing and Braelyn would be running all over having a great time. I would look over at Gwen and she was just sitting there in the grass watching her sister. Now I will say that it is possible that it bothered me more than Gwen because she is NOT one to complain. ;) But it really did get me thinking that there just had to be something out there that would help her be more independent.


A few of the ladies on the site mentioned the "Star Car." I did a bit of research on it and found out that the manufacturer is no longer making them but some handy folks had started to hand make them for their children. Well, anyone that knows Chuck or I also knows that neither one of us is all that handy. BUT I do have some extremely talented family members. (Not sure how that particular gene just happened to skip me, but that's a story for another day.) ;) The first name that popped into my mind when I saw that this project was going to be way over our heads was my uncle Verdel. This guy is amazing with things like this! So I emailed him the few links I had of examples of this home made "Star Car" and I have to say the finished product is WAY more than I could have ever imagined in a million years.



You wanna see it don't you? ;) Well here it is my friends. **Insert drum roll here**



This picture was taken right after Gwen got her car:




This picture is when we got the car home and Gwen is enjoying her new freedom:




I just had to include this picture as well. This was taken Saturday morning. While Gwen was still asleep, Braelyn was taking full advantage. She decided to watch her morning cartoons in her sister's new chair:




Pretty awesome huh? This turned out to be quite the family affair. Uncle Verdel obviously built the car and took every consideration possible to make it not only functional but safe at the same time. He also gave her some room in the front so she will continue to be able to use it as she grows. (It's also a great little extra space for big sister Braelyn to hitch a ride on) There is also a sweet handle that can attach to the back just in case Gwen needs a little boost from one of us every once and awhile. We actually used this on Sunday evening when we took Gwen and her car to Music in the Park. It was great!




Did you see that adorable cushion on that seat? That was made by my aunt Carol. It's made of indoor/outdoor fabric so that I can just throw it in the wash when necessary. And it keeps Gwenner's little cushion from getting sore too! ;) And I'm sure you noticed Gwen's beautiful name painted on the front. That was put there by my cousin Dana. There is also some bling strategically placed on the side because no pink car is complete without some bling right??


So enough about how darn cute this car is. You should see our girl use this thing! It's amazing. She took to it immediately. She has had a little bit of practice maneuvering something with wheels like this because she uses a mobile stander also. But we were so proud to put her in her new pink wheels and watch her go all over the house in it. Like I said earlier, we rea lly have had to ask each other every once and awhile, "Where did Gwen go?". For parents that complain about having to chase after their children all the time, you have no idea the complete elation we get from having to go and find our daughter who has wandered off somewhere in the house. This is something we don't take for granted. In fact today I was helping Braelyn get her shoes on in the living room and I had to go looking for Gwen. You know where I found her? In the laundry room! It dawned on me right then that she has never BEEN in the laundry room. Sounds silly I know but that is just not a room I needed to take her into. I guess she knew this was uncharted territory for her because she was loving it in there! (Now if only I could teach her to do a few loads while she's exploring) :)


Here are a few You Tube videos of our baby girl in action. She really gets going pretty good. Sometimes she'll even get in the middle of the room and spin around in circles just for fun.


On another note.....Gwen has been making extreme progress lately in making herself mobile too! She is beginning to take some steps with assistance!!! Her new braces have been amazing and she has learned to kick out her feet and take steps. We started by having to hold her elbows and help her shift her weight. But now she is able to kick her feet out even without our shifting her weight back and forth. She still tires quickly but she has come SO far. Also, if you see the picture below you will see that Gwen is also beginning to take a few steps toward crawling on hands and knees. She's pretty good at working herself backwards, but going forwards has been a tricky thing for her to grasp. The picture is from PT and it's not the best but we thought you would want to see!




There's a phrase that goes around the SB community and I think it's Gwen's turn to say it...


"Take THAT Spina Bifida!!"

7 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That car is perfect! And I can't believe how easily she maneuvers with it. I'm so impressed! What a big girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck and heather:

    What a "super" invention for Gwen! Think about the quote from Dr. Suess......"Oh, the Places You'll Go!".

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO GWENNER! Miss Tracy is so proud of you and all your accomplishments. I can't wait to see what is next for you and Braelyn too! I love you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT is soooooooooooooo awesome. I love it! You GO GWENNER!!!!!!!!! You rock! (And how sweet of you to share with your sis too). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I haven't caught up with the adventures of the Castellano girls for some time now and I have to say I'm just in awe of how much joy these girls bring watching them! My hear just sang while watching Gwen in her new bling, bling chair! What an awesome, touching gift. Can't wait to find out about more of their explorations. I wouldn't put it past Braelyn to show Gwen all the naughty places to go! ;-) Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete