Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Regular Ol' Saturday... Kind Of



As Kansas City braces for it's first frost of the fall, the Castellanos had a fairly uneventful Saturday. Heather and I made our daily pilgrimage to CMH to visit Gwendolyn. She always seems to do something to make me smile... most of the time all she has to do is lay in her crib and squeeze my finger (and trust me folks, that girl's got a grip on her!) while she looks up at me with those wide eyes.

I must say, if it is possible to denote an individual less than two weeks old as my hero, she is. She's been through more in her little life than I have in my rather mundane 33 years on God's Green Earth. Yet, she loves getting fed, sleeping and clean diapers. As long as those three things have sufficiently been taken care of, she pretty much lays content in the ICU nursery. Translation, if not for the wounds healing on her head, back and abdomen, you'd have no idea she's been though all she has thus far. Of course I'm pretty bias, but she and her sister both are just such a special gift to Heather and I. Besides, who couldn't just melt at the sight of a face like this:



In any case, we can't wait to get Gwen home on Monday... well, we honestly are a little apprehensive about having both of the girls home if only because we've just figured out the right way to handle one child and now we're introducing another into the fold. It'll be a challenge of course, but it'll undoubtedly be a labor of love! And Braelyn's passive nature will help compensate for the rather bold personality of Ms. Gwendolyn Marie.

Getting back to our Saturday, while Gwendolyn gets ready to pack her bags for home in a couple of days, Braelyn had a productive day herself. This morning she had her second sponge bath since arriving home... speaking of precious, that girl constantly makes me laugh with her myriad of wide-eyed looks. I wish I knew what was on her mind when she frills her brows, puckers her mouth in a circle and stretches her eyelids as wide as they will open, sometimes while crossing her eyes. She's quite a cutie in her own right. Heather and I can't wait for her cord to fall off so we can give her a proper bath. Unfortunately we've been told that Gwen will have to wait about six weeks until her wounds fully heal for a proper bath.

Anyway, after her bath, "The Peanut" hung out with Grandma while Mom and I visited her little sister in the hospital. When we got back, Braelyn had her first introduction to cousins Madison and Lindsay. It was rather strange seeing just three of them and know that one was missing. But I suppose that soon enough they'll be running around the house driving Uncle Kyle, Aunt Susan, Heather and I all crazy with talk of princesses, Dora and who stole who's crayon.

Well, wish I could say that I apologize for yet another post devoid of a cliffhanger but I rather enjoy updating you all on everyday activities that don't cause knots to form in my stomach. We're almost resembling a "normal" family... well, you know what I meant!

;)

Until Sunday...

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love hearing your day to day account. Those 2 precious girls have very special parents. Continued good wishes.
    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the daily updates. You are a great communicator, Chuck! Those are two very lucky little girls to have the two of you as parents. Heather student-taught with me years ago and Grandma Eileen, taught my twin daughters in first grade, they are now in sixth grade. They both are such special people. I'm just so happy for all of you and pray for you and those little girls daily. I'm so thankful they are doing so well, and just keep taking it one day at a time and God will help you find the strength and stamina to be the best parents you can.

    ReplyDelete