Monday, December 7, 2009

A Cable Guy Routine


Well, I know it's been a good five days since my last update but as usual, that's because there wasn't much to report.

The pH test did show levels of reflux so we do know that in addition to the insertion of the feeding tube there will also be a procedure to tighten the sphincter that closes off her stomach from her esophagus. But the actual day and time everything would take place was still in question heading into the weekend.

Well, that's still kind of the question of the moment. Much like an appointment with the cable company, we've been told that Gwendolyn will have her surgery sometime today (Monday) in between 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM. I felt like telling the hospital "Gee, thanks for being so specific!" however my manners got the best of me.

In their defense, we are being "squeezed in" so that our journey out of the hospital can come to a conclusion as soon as possible.

Still, I find it ridiculous that they can't narrow down our procedure time to even within a three hour window.

Unfortunately, the Holiday Season means that I've got a lot of philanthropic activities with the Chiefs to coordinate at work and without a paycheck, we wouldn't be able to pay those hospital bills. So, I'm sure that I'll undoubtedly miss the whole thing as Heather and I are trading off today. I got here before dawn to make sure one of us was here to sign the consent forms should it be determined that she would start the day by getting her new tube inserted. Of course, no such luck there.

So, at least as I sit here I have the solace of knowing that by the end of today, we'll have what I hope is a brief recovery period away from coming home.

On the other side of the coin, my poor daughter hasn't been able to eat since 2:00 AM this morning because she needs an empty stomach so that stinks. They have her on an IV to make sure she stays hydrated but someone forgot to tell her stomach not to be hungry today because she's not a happy camper. The other issue is that she needs to stay off the reflux medication because of the surgery. So, her head has gotten more and more congested as the week has gone on. As we sit here now, it has made it more and more difficult for her to breath but this too shall pass. Once this procedure is complete they don't even know if she'll need medication for the reflux anymore.

And for those of you wondering, Braelyn continues to thrive... she had a pediatrician appointment this week (it was actually supposed to be today but needless to say, we're calling to reschedule). But it's for routine vaccinations so no worries. Outside of a battle she's been waging with gas lately, she's doing quite well. We test drove having her sleep the entire night in her crib over the weekend and she aced it with flying colors. In fact, last night she made it nine whole hours in between her late evening feeding and her morning feeding... even Dad can't say that! So, she's already growing up before my eyes... I get the feeling I'll have a pair of teenagers on my hands by the next time I blink!

;)

Well, I'd better got off my soap box for a little. Sorry to vent... I should just be excited that we're almost ready to blow this chicken coop ans reunite the girls!

I hope you all have a great day and we'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. What a precious little thing! You guys are in my thoughts and prayers today. Hoping for a speedy recovery for Gwen! Hope you can all be together soon.

    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am hoping they get Gwen in sooner today rather than later so that the poor baby can wake up and get some food in her tummy. I will keep you all in my prayers today and continue to pray that she is home, safe and healthy, VERY soon. As far as little Miss Braelyn deciding to show off and sleep 9 hours, I can only tell you that I am very impressed and a bit jealous, as we still only get 4 hours at a time at night at the Melton household! :)
    Love you all and praying like crazy for our sweet little friend...
    Steph and Rance

    ReplyDelete