Monday, December 7, 2009

Waiting Until the Last Minute... A Castellano Trait


Well, from the "I should have guessed it" department, I didn't get a call from Heather until a quarter past four this afternoon that they were on their way to get Gwendolyn and bring her down for the operation.

Luckily, I made it to the O.R. prep room at the hospital just before she was taken in so I got some quick "Daddy" face time with her.

Unfortunately, we just got a call that they got a late start on things inside the O.R. With the impending shift change that takes place in the NICU (we've been told we're getting transferred back to the nursery after this surgery since she's going to be knocked out by anesthesia again) we won't be able to visit Gwen during shift change (from 7-8 PM). If you factor in the conclusion time for the procedure and add in her recovery and check-in back in the NICU, I don't anticipate getting in there before 7 PM hits. So, the smart money is on us not getting to see Gwen for another couple of hours and waiting until visitors can come again to the NICU at 8 PM... at least I'm starting to be old hat at this I suppose.

I guess it could be worse. At about Noon the nurse told Heather that they were just going to put off the procedure until tomorrow because they didn't think they could fit us in today after all. Luckily, thanks to a little bit of persuasion from Heather, they relented and said that they'd get it taken care of today no matter what.

In any case, I'll keep you all posted when we get to see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment