Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Sights My Eyes Have Seen



Firstly, here is a photo of my little Brae Bear from this morning. Let me say something about her… I have NEVER been around a child that enjoys being on it's changing table more than her. She can be mid-temper tantrum but goes silent and smiley as soon as her head hits that changing table. After you’re done with the changing and pick her up, it’s like some took the DVR off pause because she’ll literally pick right back up where she left off crying. Luckily for us, Braelyn doesn’t cry all that much unless she’s dealing with a gas attack but I just find that whole mood-swing process amusing!

As for her sister, Gwendolyn is progressing well. Apparently when they inserted her breathing tube prior to yesterday’s operation, it required several attempts to get it placed right. So, she’s got some irritation in her throat. The doctor has decided that he’s going to give her a three-dose round of steroids today in hopes of alleviating the swelling. Assuming that works, she’ll have the tube removed tomorrow morning. The following morning (Thursday) she’ll get the first feeding with her new tube. They couldn’t put in a tradition “Mickey Button” because she’s still too small but we’ve been told they can insert that via clinic visit (so it isn’t a serious medical procedure) in about 2-3 months. Until then, it’ll be more like a small tube coming out of her stomach than a capped button… but we aren’t too far away from the lower maintenance that comes along with a “Mickey Button.”

The doctor told us the hope is that by the weekend, Gwen will be in less critical condition and can again be transferred out of the NICU back onto the “floor.” And, if all progresses like we hope, then by the middle of next week we’ll be taking her home.

The pediatrician, in his thick Jamaican accent, told Heather and I this morning to get her stocking ready to be nailed into the mantel because we should have her home by Christmas (actually, he said to “get her red sock out” but I don’t want to get lost in the details… besides, I have no idea how the Jamaicans celebrate the Holidays)!

;)

So, she’s still on the ventilator but on its lowest setting of oxygen and pressure so it’s just like what she’d normally be breathing if she was on her own.

The most pathetic thing now is that we have to again sit idly by watching her try to cry only to not be able to make any noise due to the tube in her throat. Honestly, I’ve seen many sad things in my time but that is truly the most wrenching I’ve had to digest.

The tube in her throat is also causing some binky sucking issues because she obviously has a little difficulty fitting the entire pacifier in her mouth along with the tube. So when she gets upset, we just hold the binky loosely to her lips and she mouths her sucks on the tip of it.

Needless to say, that’s yet another sight I wish these eyes didn’t have to see.

Still, she’s got less than a day of this left hopefully and then we can focus on her tummy healing up and getting her home.

Well, that’s all the scoop I’ve got for now... Later.

2 comments:

  1. I was fine until I got to the "red sock" paragraph, and from there it just went downhill. Happy tears for being home with her sweet sister for their first Christmas, but definitely heartbreak that she is having some sadness. Hope you can feel this hug...give that strong little girl a good squeeze from another friend who loves her so. Love you all so much.
    Steph and Rance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking allot about you all everyday. I have been following the blog closely. I have not posted a comment in a while. I have been praying for all of you and most of all precious Gwen. My heart goes out to her and to you all. Right now, I am 32 weeks pregnant with my twin girls and will begin the NST testing along with all the extra sonograms at the end of this week. There is still something going on with Baby A (Reese) as far as the bowing of the long bones and baby B (Laina) has slipped down past the 10th percentile for weight, so now, we have to go in for growth scans every 2 weeks. I know we are about to begin a big journey ourselves and Jeff and I have looked at the two of you as an inspiration to get though no matter what might be thrown at us. I have wanted to call you, Heather, many times, but never know when a good time to call would be. Just know, I am thinking of you all.

    Breana

    ReplyDelete